Dentistry has entered the era of specialty. The JCD Dental college commenced MDS courses in four specialties from this academic year of 2015-16.
Prosthodontics: Prosthodontics, also known as Prosthetic Dentistry, is the area of dentistry that focuses on dental prostheses and rehabilitation. It is the dental specialty pertaining to the diagnosis, treatment planning, rehabilitation and maintenance of the oral function, comfort, appearance and health of patients with clinical conditions associated with missing or deficient teeth and/or oral and maxillofacial tissues using biocompatible substitutes.
Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics: This specialty deals with the management of dental pain, advanced cosmetic ailments and periapical lesions requiring restorations and/or surgical intervention.
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopaedics: The specialty is concerned with the study and treatment of malocclusions (Malalignments), which may be a result of tooth irregularity and/or disproportionate jaw relationships. Orthodontic treatment not only focuses on dental displacement only, but also deals with the development and modulation of facial growth. In case of the latter, it is better defined as “Dentofacial Orthopedics”.
Periodontics: Periodontology or Periodontics is the specialty of dentistry that deals with the supporting structures of teeth, as well as diseases and conditions that affect them. The supporting tissues are known as the periodontium, which includes the gingiva (gums), alveolar bone, cementum, and the periodontal ligament. A professional who practices this specialty of dentistry is known as a periodontist.
ADMISSION CRITERIA & ELIGIBILITY:
- MDS Admissions shall be made strictly on the basis of merit in NEET-MDS 2019 and as per guidelines issued by Govt. of India/D.C.I/DMER, Govt. of Haryana/Pt. B.D. Sharma University of Health Sciences, Rohtak.
- A candidate for admission to the MDS course (Master of Dental Surgery) must have a recognized degree of BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) awarded by a recognized Dental College as per the Dentists Act, 1948 or an equivalent qualification recognized by the Dental Council of India and should have obtained permanent registration with the State Dental Council.
Total Intake: 8 Seats
MDS courses are being offered in four Specialties (2 SEATS in each specialty)
- CONSERVATIVE DENTISTRY & ENDODONTICS
- ORTHODONTICS & DENTOFACIAL ORTHOPAEDICS
PERIOD OF TRAINING:
- The Course shall be of three years duration.
- All the students for the degree of MDS are required to pursue the prescribed course for at least three academic years as full-time students in a BDS recognized and MDS approved/recognized Institution under the guidance of the Head of the Department, who has to be a recognized postgraduate teacher in that specialty.